A top House Republican says the top lawyer for the National Archives “wasn’t allowed” to weigh in on the discovery of classified documents in President Joe Biden’s possession — despite publicly commenting repeatedly on former President Donald Trump’s similar circumstance.
The National Archives has stayed largely quiet when it comes to Biden’s classified document saga — a stark contrast to how it handled Trump’s scandal. It set up an entire section on its website, “Press Statements in Response to Media Queries About Presidential Records,” in early 2022 dedicated to its numerous press releases on the Trump Mar-a-Lago documents saga. However, in the weeks after Biden’s scandal burst into public view (and months after the National Archives first learned about it), the agency has yet to issue a single press release on it.
Rep. James Comer (R-KY), the new chairman of the House Oversight Committee, conducted a transcribed interview with National Archives general counsel Gary Stern on Tuesday, and he revealed Stern says he had been blocked from putting out public press releases on the Biden classified documents saga, with Comer suggesting only the Justice Department or the White House could have blocked the National Archives.